Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

Catching up on Great Articles

It turns out that Graduate Assistantship work hours can be a great time to catch up on some birthy blogs! While my workload here at work is light, I am going to post some interesting posts I've noticed recently that are worth a read:


Home Birth... Why I Did It (& I'm Not a Hippie)
Because we have to keep bringing this point home... "I gave birth at home. And no, I’m not a hippie. I’m a college educated, business minded woman"
She writes, "My hope is that by sharing my story, I may encourage at least one mom to do her own research so she can make the best decision for her  childbirth experience... I’m certain almost all women are capable of a  natural birth, and if they take back that right, we will have healthier and happier moms, dads and babies out there."
I posted this one on my personal facebook page and it spurred a big discussion... if only I could get that type of response on here! :)


Women who breastfeed even one month reduce their diabetes risk
This is a hugely important study find, because diabetes is quickly becoming a pandemic thanks to unhealthy eating worldwide.

When Pushing Turns Purple: What's a Doula to Do?
from Birthing Beautiful Ideas... Illustrates the frustrations with the frantic and unnecessary "HOLD YOUR BREATH AND PUSH! 1... 2... 3... 4... 5... 6... 7... 8... 9... 10... AGAIN! HARDER!" that nurses always seem to want to do in labor and delivery.


Volumes: a huge problem
...by Public Health Doula. I find this post fascinating because she explains just how and why many women end up over-feeding their newborns.  She discusses just how much an infant should be eating, why they are being overfed, where the problem stems from, and so on. Over-feeding can lead to, other than trouble with breastfeeding, obesity later in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...