Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Male Doulas

A movie by Vince Vaughn

No, really.

Male Doula. It will be a "high-concept" comedy written by The Wedding Date's Dana Fox.

Vince-Vaughn posted this about the project, which doesn't say much more than I wrote above. It does, however, have a comment on it that reads:
Hello! I do also enjoy the work of Vince Vaughn. I am a doula as well, so might enjoy the Male Doula movie on a personal level...
I must say, though, that while I understand there is a lot that can be poked fun of with regards to doulas and birth, I hope Mr. Vaughn sees this as a good opportunity to support the important work that doulas do, as well as gets away from the tired and innaccurate birth depictions in most movies (mom always laboring flat on her back, dad always incapable, that doulas only tell mom to "breathe", etc...I could go on and on...)
Finally I'd like to point out that there are several male doulas out there doing important work and I hope his movie is respectful of that and doesn't undermine them.
I hope that he gets an experienced doula on his staff for the making of this movie...I know lots of doulas with a sense of humor who could help...


Want to know more about real-life male doulas?
Here is an article on a 66 year-old male doula living in Colorado.  Turns out he was the first male doula certified by DONA, and you can read more about that here.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, I second all of the above. I happen to love Vince Vaughn, AND I loved Wedding Date, and I like doulas. The combination could be epic.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...