Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

More Reading than You'll Know What to Do With

Hello! Happy March!

I know that there are many followers of this blog who follow the blog itself, some who follow facebook only, and some who follow me only on twitter. I also realize that there are various combinations of the three; for instance, following the blog and facebook but not twitter, or just facebook and twitter, etc. I do different combinations of following of blog content, myself! But I just thought I'd let all my google friend/RSS reader followers what happens over on facebook in case you don't overlap.

Facebook is great because even though with a busy grad schedule I can still post interesting things and have discussions, even if I don't have time to write a whole blog update!

We had a great conversation on the facebook page about whether or not, and how, anthropologists should or can be Activists/Advocates.


Link Roundup: Wrapping up February Edition
Here are some great links that I shared recently, but didn't blog about, that are worth checking out (in chronological order):

Too Many Babies are Delivered Too Early - Hospitals Should Just say No via Time Healthland
The LeapFrog group recently released info on elective deliveries have soared 40% and more and more babies are being born TOO EARLY. The March of Dimes is working on a campaign to stop hospitals and doctors from ordering/performing inductions/c-sections prior to 39 weeks if not MEDICALLY INDICATED.

This is because babies are being born too early when elective deliveries are performed before 39 weeks. Inaccurate measures of gestational age is common, with ultrasound estimations done in the last trimester being off by up to 3 weeks.

Babies who are born before mom goes into labor naturally have more health problems: Risk having immature lungs and respiratory problems, cannot suck and swallow adequately, and are less alert (especially if born by c-section). They spend more time on ventilators and in NICU. If the baby is delivered at 37 weeks and it turns out the baby was actually only 35 weeks gestational age, the baby will have all these problems and more, such as birth defects, autism, learning disabilities, chronic health problems.... They are also more likely to die.

They also cost more. Even born at 37-38 weeks, premature infants cost 10 times more than a full-term newborn. Reducing early deliveries to under 2% could save close to $1 billion in health care each year.

Fascinating post on the Health Care Blog on "Cultural norm-ing of Defensive Medicine."  Its pretty long, so the Unnecesarean has given us a few quick paragraphs of the main idea... But definitely read the full article if you can!

 The Doula's First Time Mama Advice Kit
Written by the Public Health Doula, this is an AWESOME MUST-READ. She has included everything in this advice kit!

 Is Breastfeeding Advocacy Anti Feminist? An essay by Katherine A Dettwyler
Anthropologist Katherine Dettwyler studies biocultural anth and breastfeeding and dicusses them in this article, and feminism!

The Blonsky Apparatus for Facilitating the Birth of a Child  via Unnecesarean
My boyfriend found these images of the Centrifugal force machine mentioned in the book "Pushed" and I was going to post them to my blog this week, but The Unnecesarean beat me to it! Check this crazyness out!
Pain, Suffering, and Trauma in Labor and Subsequent Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: First of Two Posts by Penny Simkin  and
Part Two: Pain, Suffering, and Trauma in Labor and Subsequent Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: Practical Suggestions to Prevent PTSD After Childbirth
The Fabulous and Famous Penny Simkin on Pain vs Suffering (important distinction!) and Birth Trauma and PTSD on Science and Sensibility blog.
Evolution and C-sections
I think it could happen over time, but I don't think its happened already. There are other factors contributing to the current small increases in birth weights. Wouldn't that be a scary thought, though - every single future birth ending in a cesarean section because everyone evolved to have cephalopelvic disproportion??
 Continuous Support for Women During Childbirth - Cochrane Systematic Review
Check out the new Cochrane Review on Continuous Labor Support "The good news about doulas just got better! Fewer cesareans, fewer instrumental vaginal births, less need for pain medicine, less dissatisfaction with birth and better Apgar scores for baby." Via Childbirth Connection
Anthropology Without Doctorates
More and more graduate students in anthropology are not completing their PhD and are working outside of academia. What happens to terminal MA's in anthropology?
Making the Case for Delayed Umbilical Cord Clamping: A Grand Rounds Lecture by Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
50 minute video lecture of Dr. Fogelson speaking to his peers about why umbilical cord clamping should be delayed.

Women in Control of Epidural in Labor Use 30% Less Anesthesia
Important find! If women could be in control of their anesthesia, they'd feel more in control of the whole experience! And if they end up using less anesthesia, all the side effects would be less. I think it would be a blessing for those who want an epidural but fear the potential side effects, like a groggy newborn or too much numbness.

 Incredibly Moving Birth Photography of a Home Water Birth


I hope this isn't too much reading... it definitely covers a whole range of potential interests!

If for some reason this is just not enough to satiate your appetite (if you're like me, ha), I do re-tweet even more interesting articles on Twitter. I also sometimes use Twitter to talk about being a doula or with other doulas. To get involved I encourage you to join in on #doulaparty every Friday and some Sunday afternoons, or simply search the #doulaparty hashtag and read up!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe I didn't already follow you on FB! And I especially can't believe I missed the conversation about activism & anthropology! I've been kind of having an argument w/ a professor (who isn't on my committee, but wishes he was) about whether or not activism should have a place in my thesis!

    I'm definitely going to go check it out. Also, thanks for the links! I've read a few of them...but it's spring break and I actually (kind of) have time for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...