What mother or father wants their child to grow up in a world where there is no more clean soil to play in, clean water to bathe in, clean air to breathe, space to run around? We all imagine our children running and playing, healthy and happy.
On this Earth Day, if you are conscious of your children's futures, and your children's children, take the time to conceptualize how much of an impact you have had on the Earth's health, and how much impact you can make to improve it.
Here are 4 easy ways to start today, on this Earth Day, to improve the planet for your children:
- Breastfeed, encourage your wife/sister/friend to breastfeed, and support breastfeeding in all its forms.
- Breastfeeding reduces the amount of bottles and plastic and trash required to feed babies
- This is a growing trend that is going to seem a lot less weird to all of us down the line. Obviously, this is a lot less wasteful, as you wash the diapers and re-use them, rather than throwing each dirty diaper into a landfill.
- Sure, we all love a brand new shiny toy, fresh from its packaging. But if you can stick to already-loved toys, you'll give that toy a longer life, save yourself money, and save the environment. Less packaging and plastic waste, fewer perfectly good toys not biodegrading in the landfill. Garage sales, freecycling, craigslist, or friends - Toys can be used for generations before they need to be thrown away! (and while we're on it, wooden toys!)
- Not just for baby! Although going on Amazon.com is easy, purchasing local means less fuel is used to get the product to you. You can even get creative and make baby items yourself - clothing, wraps, nursery decor, etc!
HAPPY EARTH DAY!