Sometimes doulas get called to labors at strange times or attend some unconventional births!
I haven't yet been called at any strange times or in any strange places. I always wonder if I'll be called in the middle of a movie, or if I'll end up catching a baby in the car on the way to the hospital, etc. I've been trying to find out if any doulas have had any strange experiences to share. Below are a few I know of:
If you're a doula,
1. Where is the most unique time and place you have ever gotten a labor call? Or maybe the most inconvenient?
2. Has a mom ever chosen to labor, or accidentally ended up laboring, in an a-typical location?
3. Have you ever witnessed/caught a baby being born in a strange location or at an odd time?
Here are some unexpected situations that have happened to real doulas:
- Mom walking up hospital stairs so fast during contractions that doula couldn't keep up!
- Moms singing through contractions
- Moms who drive themselves to the hospital in transition
- By a creek in the moonlight
- On the front lawn