- I LOVE FREE STUFF! Found out on the AllDoula's forum that doula's may request free product samples and informational pamphlets from pregnancy and mother related companies to hand out to clients! So far I've received lanolin ointment samples and breastfeeding information from Lansinoh/La Leche League. I've been confirmed to receive a Sleepywrap baby carrier, Mother's Milk tea from Traditional Medicinals, Preggie Pops from Three Lollies, and Buttpaste diaper cream! weee :)
- Lately I have been having a desire to add something more to my doula services down the line - something creative. A lot of doulas/CBE's offer photography services, either maternity photos, birth photos or photos with the baby afterwards. I'd love to get a really nice digital SLR camera and take some classes, but I have to decide if it would be worth the money for me. I also wish I was creative enough to do belly henna. Making the paste itself isn't hard and I've had henna done to me so I understand it, but I'm not artsy enough to do cool patterns on other people. Maybe one day...
- I'm going to my first postnatal visit today! For the mom whose birth I attended weeks ago. Looking forward to it :)
- Meeting with a home birth mom/potential client next week! Keeping fingers crossed!!
- TheBump.com has a list called Top 10 Things They Should Really Warn You About Before You Get Pregnant. My response to many of them were: OH WOW... Its an amusing read!
- ABC News article about Rising Maternal Mortality in the US, namely in California. The buzz about the California deaths rising severely has been concerned mainly with the increase in scheduled C-sections: "The latest data from the CDC shows that 31 percent of the mothers now choose to have C-sections, up 50 percent since 1996. Studies have repeatedly shown a higher rate of mortality in mothers who have a C-section delivery, especially those who have multiple C-sections."
According to the World Health Organization, the U.S. ranks behind more than 40 other countries when it comes to maternal death rates, with 11 deaths per 100,000 pregnancies when measured in 2005. More women die in the U.S. after giving birth than die in countries including Poland, Croatia, Italy and Canada, to name a few.
Did anyone watch The Office Baby episode? I don't watch the series but I watched the baby episode last night. Too cute! They had a lot of good info on there about birth, but the postpartum nurse was AWFUL and completely unhelpful with breastfeeding help. At least she sent the Lactation Consultant in (a male LC? interesting!)