Perhaps your friends and relatives have been asking you what you'd like for the holidays, and you are at a loss at what to tell them. What is one simple, single, inexpensive, easy to find item that you could ask for from each of the people who ask?
Or maybe your friends are all birth junkies and you don't know gifts to get them!
Or perhaps you or someone you know is pregnant, and you want to get them something really helpful.
How about the thing that every birth junkie loves? An addition to their birth/breastfeeding/women's health book collection!
On the right sidebar of this blog I have my own Book Wish List, which includes:
- Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife
- The Doula Advantage: Your Complete Guide to Having an Empowered and Positive Birth with the Help of a Professional Childbirth Assistant
- Birthing from Within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation
- HypnoBirthing: The Mongan Method: A natural approach to a safe, easier, more comfortable birthing
- The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
- Your Best Birth: Know All Your Options, Discover the Natural Choices, and Take Back the Birth Experience
- Ourselves As Mothers: The Universal Experience of Motherhood
- Breastfeeding: Biocultural Perspectives
- Born in the USA: How a Broken Maternity System Must Be Fixed to Put Women and Children First
- Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care
- Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide
- Birth Models That Work
- Childbirth Across Cultures: Ideas and Practices of Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Postpartum
- Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
- The Birth Partner, Third Edition: A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Doulas, and All Other Labor Companions
- Monique and the Mango Rains: Two Years with a Midwife in Mali
- The Doula Book: How a Trained Labor Companion Can Help You Have a Shorter, Easier, and Healthier Birth
- Dr. Jack Newman's Guide to Breastfeeding
- Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn (4th Edition): The Complete Guide
- The Labor Progress Handbook: Early Interventions to Prevent and Treat Dystocia
- Birth in Four Cultures : A Crosscultural Investigation of Childbirth in Yucatan, Holland, Sweden, and the United States
- Mother Nature: Maternal Instincts and How They Shape the Human Species
- Ancient Bodies, Modern Lives: How Evolution Has Shaped Women's Health
- Childbirth and Authoritative Knowledge: Cross-Cultural Perspectives
- Birth as an American Rite of Passage: Second Edition
Other Ideas, especially if your friend is a Doula:
- Money towards additional doula training, such as postpartum doula or lactation counselor workshops
- Anything from http://yourdoulabag.com, like a birth ball and cover or a doula t-shirt
- DVDs: The Business of Being Born or Orgasmic Birth are great ones! ADDED: Laboring Under An Illusion: Mass Media Childbirth vs. The Real Thing
Or if your wife or friend is pregnant, consider gifting Doula Services, for labor and/or postpartum.